Who We Are
Africans Rising is a Pan-African movement of people and organisations, working for unity, peace, justice, and dignity. We are determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the People of Africa to build the Future we want – a right to peace, social inclusion, and shared prosperity. Our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration 2.0, is a decentralised, citizen-owned future that will build support and solidarity for local struggles, local leadership and immerse activists in the grassroots work of building social movements from below and beyond African country borders. As we pursue our mission and vision, we are supported in this work with a global network of members and organisations.
Job Title: Leadership & Transition Coach
Location: Africans Rising offices in Dakar, Senegal/ Banjul, The Gambia or Virtually
Work Station: Remote | Home | Virtual
Contract Type: Consultancy
Closing Date: Application closes on December 14, 2022, 17:00 GMT
Duration: 45 working days of full-time consultancy within 2 months from February 1 to March 30, 2023
Terms of Reference (TOR)
- Lead the newly recruited Movement Coordinator to assimilate into AR’s culture, work processes and membership
- Build the capacity of Movement Coordinator and CC members in leadership, personal development, governance, partnership and fundraising, communication and change management
- Design and administer an Organisational Cultural Assessment (OCAT) survey to unearth organisational sustainability gaps and feedback from CC members and staff
- Present to the Coordinating Collective a change management plan that would forestall organisational best practices and leadership change goals
- Transform outcomes emanating from exit interviews with Movement Coordinator(s) into recommendations for change management
- Facilitate the mentoring and coaching of the newly recruited movement coordinator to effectively meet the needs of all stakeholders of Africans Rising members
- Work with AR Resource Mobilisation unit to develop a list of donors and meeting schedules for the newly recruited Movement Coordinator to cultivate new donors and funders for Africans Rising’s work
- Establish and maintain regular one-on-one sessions with the newly recruited Movement Coordinator to map out a plan that strategically engages AR membership on the continent and the Diaspora to achieve Africans Rising’s Mission and goals.
- Coach and mentor the newly recruited Movement Coordinator to be an effective spokesperson to the organisation’s membership, the media, and the general public.
- Document the transition process for learning and organisational development purposes.
- Support the AR team to develop a transition template from the AR transition process, for the benefit of African social movements.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a track record of serving as a Leadership Coach, Organisational Development Consultant or SHRMP (Strategic Human Resource Management Professional). While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of social movement is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly, and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group
- A track record and professional experience working in the domain of social movement or civil society in AfricaYou must possess brilliant public speaking, writing and communication skills,
- University degree or related experience in leadership transition, change management, organisational development, and Human Resource Management professional
Consultancy Submission Process
- Draft a one-page technical proposal and a one-page financial proposal about your experience and motivation for the role, stating your proposed full consultancy fee for the two months duration.
- Attach a comprehensive CV, including two samples of relevant work on leadership transition or organisational development and your social media profile (LinkedIn).
- E-mail the entire application documents to the hiring manager at firstname.lastname@example.org; copying email@example.com.
- The ability to use PowerPoint, set-up calls on Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools as well as manage other communication mediums
- The ability to be proactive and have an independent approach to delivering solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (particularly proposal writing and delivering presentations/ workshops)
- The ability to quickly form constructive relationships, productive project teams and inspire others.
Equal Opportunities Employer
A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment. A commitment to Africans Rising’s mission and core values of promoting peace, justice, equity and respect for all. Africans Rising is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented, minority, oppressed and marginalised groups.
Terms and Conditions
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three (3) weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
We reserve the right to start reviewing applications until the post is filled.
For more information on the role, write to the contact details below:
Harrison Boakye Owusu at firstname.lastname@example.org latest by December 5, 2022.