In order to keep up to statutory requirements, remain accountable to members and donors, and ensure achievement of our mission and vision, Africans Rising is seeking the services of an external audit for the period 2019 to 2021. This is a first-year audit of AR.
Africans Rising (AR) is a Pan-African movement of people and organizations, working for peace, justice, and dignity. The movement is determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the Peoples of Africa to build the Future we want – a right to peace, social inclusion, and shared prosperity.
Africans Rising’s vision is outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration, which is a decentralised, citizen-owned future that will build support and solidarity for local struggles, local leadership and immerse activists in the grassroots work of building social movements from below and beyond borders.
The Africans Rising movement amplifies broad demands connecting struggles, building solidarity & cooperation within & amongst campaigns for social, economic, environmental and gender justice. The movement does it work with movements, individuals, civil society organisations/Non-state Actors, state actors, artists, business, faith based groups and others – based on a shared support for the Kilimanjaro Declaration. With its legal registration in The Gambia
Objective and Scope of the Audit
The objective of the audit is for the auditors to conduct audit reviews as follows:
- The auditors shall express an independent professional opinion as to whether the financial statements present fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of AR in accordance with the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- The audit shall be carried out in accordance with the International Standards on Auditing (ISAs).
- Management letter: The Auditors should submit a management letter after the completion of the audit were necessary in which auditors will:
- Identify specific deficiencies or areas of weakness in systems and controls, and make recommendations for their improvement;
- Examine on test basis that appropriateness of supporting documents, records and books of accounts relating to all project activities; Clear linkages should exist between the books of accounts and the financial statements presented to
- Report on the implementation status of recommendations pertaining to previous period audit reports.
- The auditor shall report the identified amount in case there are any missing supporting documents;
- Any matters that come to the auditor’s attention during the audit that might have a significant impact to AR
Responsibilities for the Preparation of Books of Account
The responsibilities for the preparation of financial statement lie with AR management;
Management will prepare the books of account in accordance with relevant accounting procedures;
Management is responsible for the implementation of accounting, administrative and financial procedures contained in the AR Finance and procedures manual;
AR Financial year-end runs from 1st January to the 31st December.
Rotation of auditors will be done at least after 3 years at the discretion of the coordinating collective.
The selection criteria will include the following:
- Experience of your firm in relation to the scope of audits of non-profit organizations (Movements)
- A list/references of similar non-profit organisations served by your firm, with particular emphasis on international movements
- Member of a governing body
- Participation of Senior staff in the audit assignment
- Any actual or potential conflict of interest in taking up this role should be highlighted
- Be able to carry out audits outside your country of legal registration
- Evidence of legal registration as an independent audit firm
The audit work shall be completed within one week from the date of commencement.
- Shall contain details of the method and scope of audit and assurance that the audit was performed in accordance with International Standards of Auditing and by a qualified auditor
- Shall contain the audited annual Financial Statement
iii. Shall be signed by the auditor responsible stating the title
- Shall be written in English
- Shall be issued in both soft and hard copies.
Submission of Interest
Audit firms that meet the above criteria should submit their proposals via email
The proposal should be addressed to: the Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee of Africans Rising email: email@example.com
The deadline for submission of the proposals is 31st January 2020 on or before 4pm GMT, 6pm SAST and 7 pm EAST.